Step 1.3: Develop an advocacy programme & toolkit to raise awareness about the NSS and NSDS and raise the profile of statistics
The NSDS Advocacy Program and Toolkit are comprised of knowledge materials, approaches and methods that describe, explain or illustrate the importance of statistics in development.
The NSDS Advocacy Program refers to the set of strategies, activities, and methods to inform stakeholders about the formulation of the NSDS and to advocate for statistics in general.
- The methods may include direct dissemination (via conventional correspondence or email), print and broadcast media, social media, website or SMS.
The NSDS Advocacy Toolkit refers to the set of tools and materials to support implementation of the Advocacy Program. The Toolkit:
- should be developed around the key messages and content of the NSDS policy document and relevant, priority statistical concerns such as subnational, gender, education, disability, and agriculture statistics etc;
- may include informational, educational, and communication materials such as frameworks, primers, brochures, pamphlets, press release/news articles, promotional videos, statistical forum design, and interview guide
- should promote the use of the CD 4.0 framework to foster holistic capacity development
- Design NSDS advocacy activities and materials that are relevant to different stakeholders groups.
- Data users have varying data uses, needs, and demand as well as varying capacities in managing, analyzing, and using data and statistics. Statistical advocacy is more effective when the form, material and instrument of advocacy is designed according to specific needs and uses of stakeholders
- Provide sufficient contact information for stakeholders to give feedback or seek for more information or assistance.
- Disseminate NSDS advocacy materials to stakeholders through multiple methods.
- Using multiple modes and platforms will ensure wide reach and audience and facilitate feedback